Friday, December 11, 2009

The U S of CANDY

I HATE CANDY


Candy or as we Aussies call them "Lollies" is seriously EVERYWHERE! I've been closely watching and observing the differences in our two Western cultures. USA vs Australia. The biggest shocker so far, is how much this country, that I truly love and admire is addicted to CANDY.
Nearly everything has candy in it, or on top of it, or inside it! I'm about to stereotype here, Americans LOVE CANDY.

I'm going to admit something that every Mother dreads saying but our 4 year old (Liam) is addicted to the empty calorie, teeth rotting, cheap CANDY. It infuriates me. If he doesn't get it, he has a tantrum and cries real tears for it. If he gets it, he eats it all and then acts like he is possessed by demons (sugar high) until he is cranky (sugar low). I honestly can say that I haven't bought hardly any CANDY since I moved here. Because I never need too, there is ALWAYS a plethora of CANDY everywhere we go. No joke. Drive through at the bank, after lunch or dinner at restaurants, church, pre-school, Doctors office, every HOLIDAY! Easter, Birthdays, Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving you get the picture. Whenever Liam comes home with it, I throw most of it away, because I don't care for it one bit.

I was reading this and I laughed out loud a few times. But the cheap sugar tin CANDY is NASTY stuff. Your brain is unable to recognize the dangerous 'man made' sugar, so you keep stuffing your face and your never satisfied. On the other hand, your brain does recognize 'glucose' and tells you to stop eating. I feel like pulling my hair out whenever I see it! I try to avoid CANDY.

I almost did pull my hair out when I saw that Liam has a field trip next Tuesday to a CANDY store and guess what they are doing on Thursday having a flippin CANDY party!!! Aarrrggghhhhhhh!!! Will it ever end.... Any suggestions??

8 comments:

Jacelle said...

Ugh. I so know what you are talking about. I can't even keep it away from my own house, which started as my holiday goal. But its useless...

eMily eLiZaBeTh said...

I love candy! im buying liam the game candy land for his birthday elle :) sereously i am

Allie said...

I go through the same thing as Liam... I cry real tears when I don't get it, and when I do, I have the same highs and lows. I love candy :)

Clint and Elle Stallings said...

Emily, your welcome to babysit Liam anytime he plays candy land. After wards you may burn the game and ban candy around my kid. Seriously :)

eMily eLiZaBeTh said...

I think the more you hate it the more hes gunna want it elle.

Matt said...

Lollies all around! My Treat!

Clint and Elle Stallings said...

Matt, please don't encourage the industry.

Rick and Alexis said...

That was the first thing I noticed when I came home too!! I am 100% with you on the candy addiction and kids. I really wonder how I will combat that.