Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Twenty Four - Pioneer Day

Pioneer Day 
Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois.

We started a tradition a few years back for Pioneer Day to have a backyard camp out at Grandpa and Grandma Stallings house. We start out with dinner and this year we got a barrel and started a fire to roast marshmallows. Afterwards each family sleeps in a tent in the backyard and the kids get to stay up way past their bedtime and run around with their cousins and make us all tired.

We got up early ate a delicious breakfast together and packed everything up to get ready to head out for our planned morning at the Salt Lake City cemetery and then a picnic at Memory Cove park downtown. Terri is always very organized, she had the everything set-up for the kids to find relatives head stones and Prophets of the Church (Latter Day Saint). They also each had the chance to dress up like the pioneers and read a special quote about the prophet. Later on for lunch we had a cute picnic with the most amazing spread fit for the royal family. We ate and chatted and played sling shot (spandex fabric version). We always have a wonderful time with our family and I adore how well our kids (cousins) play together and they never want it to end. I'm very grateful for my family and that we live close to each other so we can hang out and we like getting together and having quality time together to build those special bonds that will last forever.

{pictures taken with iPhone Hipstamatic app (Jane + Ina's 1969 + Standard) }
































3 comments:

Clarissa said...

Elle I am glad that since we moved you are posting on your blog! JUST for me right??!!! (: What a fun tradition. I have never been to those headstones. They would be fun to visit. Looking at these pictures makes me miss you guys so much! You look BEautiful and I love your headband!! Keep posting so I can keep track of you. <3

Elle and Clint Stallings said...

Clarissa,
Yes indeed I totally agree! I really like my blog and I read it all the time and love remembering all the amazing things we do in our family. I'm glad we have our blogs to keep up with each other. We miss you guys too! But I dont think for much longer you guys are going to live it up in New York and find new friends! Hope your trip is amazing and hope too see you all soon :)

Krista said...

love the camping tradition...and i want one of those slingshot thingy's